Articles in Juridica
- Corpus Juris and Estonian Criminal Law, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 4, pp. 184–187
- Emile Durkheim and Social Disconnectedness, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 5, pp. 256–257
- Criminal Law for Juvenile Offenders, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 4, pp. 181–186
- Does Estonia Need Death Penalty?, Juridica Abstract, 1996, No. 3, pp. 105–107
- The Court System in Finland, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 3, pp. 119–120
- Possibility of Special Courts in the Estonian Judicial System, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 1, pp. 12–13
- Law of the Organizing of Local Autonomies Changed the Fundamentals of the Organizing of Local Autonomies, Juridica Abstract, 1993, No. 6, pp. 123–124
- What Should the Faculty’s Curriculum Be?, Juridica Abstract, 1993, No. 5, p. 114
- Juridical Aspects of the Administrative Reform, Juridica Abstract, 1993, No. 1, pp. 5–6
- Professsor of Criminology
- Born: September 14, 1956, Tartu
- E-mail: email@example.com
- LLM, Columbia University, 1993
- PhD, Institute of Criminology, Moscow, 1986
- Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1979 (cum laude)
- Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, September 2009-December 2015
- Vice Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2000–2009
- Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1998–2000
- Vice Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1993–1998
- Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2007–current
- Docent, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1991–2007
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1986–1991
- Researcher, Research Laboratory for Criminology, University of Tartu, 1979–1986
Main areas of research
- Criminology, Judicial Statistics, Judicial Systems
Grants and projects
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Target Financing for Project: Estonian Legal Space in Global Legal Space. With 21 team members, 2006–current
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Target Financing for Project: Implementation of Estonian Public Law Reform in the Context of Joining the European Union Legal Order. With 11 team members, 2001–2005
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Grant No. 4551 for Project: Optimisation of Estonian Court System and Court Procedure Law. With 5 team members, 2001
- Monitoring the EU Accession Process – Judicial Independence; Constitutional and Legal Policy Institute (COLPI, Budapest), Co-ordinated by Henrikas Mickievicius, 2000–2001
- Study into Penal and Administrative Sanctions to Combat Fraud in the Candidate Countries / Corpus Juris; Co-ordinated by Academy of European Law (Trier), Christine van den Wyngaert, 2000–2001
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Grant No. 3998 for project: Estonian Penal Policy: from Totalitarian to Democratic Criminal Law. Grant holder J. Sootak with R. Antsmäe, S. Laos, P. Pikamäe, P. Randma, 1999–2000
- Estonian Law Centre Foundation (ELC), Open Estonia Foundation (OEF) and Constitutional and Legal Policy Institute (COLPI, Hungary) Project: Restricting Corruption in a Transformation Society (Legal Aspect), 2000–2003
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Grant No. 3356 for project: Further Development of the Reform of Estonian Legal Order in Public Law: Theoretical Foundations and Legislation to Ensure the Harmonisation of Estonian Legal Order in Public Law with the Legislation of European Union. With 10 team members, 1998–2000
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Target Financing No. 0539 for Project: Reform of Estonian National Legal Order in Public Law: Conceptual Positions of Departure, Legislation, Standards of Interpretation, Legal Decision. With 11 team members, 1996–2000
- Open Estonia Foundation (OEF) Grant for Project: Creation of Training Database for Jurists. With 3 team members, 1995–1996
Professional activity and membership
- Member, Executive Board, Estonian European Communities Studies Association, 2000–current
- President, Estonian Association for Criminal Justice and Legal Protection of Financial Interests of the European Union, 1999–current
- Founding Member of the Law Philosophy Society of Estonia, 1999–current
- Member of Council of the Faculty of Law, 1993–current
- Founding Member of Estonian Academic Law Society (EAÕS), 1988–current
- Students Law Office (Clinical Legal Education) I, 2000–current
- Students Law Office (Clinical Legal Education) II, 2000–current
- System of Legal Institutions in Estonia, 1986–current
- Criminology, 1986–current
- The Content of a European Arrest Warrant. Nico Keijzer and Elies van Sliedregt (Ed.). The European Arrest Warrant in Practice (). The Hague: T.M.C. Asser Press, 2009, pp. 1–17.
- International Electronic Evidence – Estonia. International electronic evidence ().British Institute of International and Comparative Law, 2008, pp. 257–279.
- Criminal Liability of Legal Persons in Estonia – a Working System Still Subject to Improvement. Corporate Criminal Liability in Europe ().La Charte, 2008, pp. 147–157.
- Punishment as Communication in Crime Prevention. Rechtstheorie, 2007, 38(2/3), pp. 349–354.
- Minority Rights in Education in Estonia – Cultural and Educational Rights in the Enlarged Europe.; Antwerpen: Wolf Legal Publishers, 2005, pp. 227–239.
- The Impact of the ECHR on Rights in and to Education in Estonia (Jüri Ginter co-author) The Impact of the ECHR on Rights in and to Education. – No Person Shall Be Denied the Right to Education. The Influence of the European Convention on Human Rights on the Right to Education and Rights in Education. Wolf Legal Publishers, 2004.
- Policy Issues Arising from Trade in Educatinal Services in Estonia.– Groof, J. de ; Lauwers, G.; Dondeliger, G. (Toim.). Globalisation and Competition in Education . Antwerpen: Wolf Legal Publishers, 2003, pp. 213–217.
- Judicial Capacity in Estonia. Monitoring the EU Accession Process. Judicial Capacity. New York: Open Society Institute, 2002, pp. 94–106.
- Judicial Independence in Estonia. – Monitoring the EU Accession Process: Judicial Independence. New York: Open Society Institute 2001, pp. 147–184.
- J. Ginter, H. Saarsoo, J. Sootak. Juvenile Delinquency. Criminal Law, Procedural and Criminological Aspect. Tartu, 2000, 48 p. (in Estonian).
- J. Ginter. Influence of Different International and Supra-National Instruments on Rules of Domestic Law (Case of Corpus Juris). – The Baltic States in an Enlarging European Union: Towards a Partnership between Small States? Katlijn Malfliet and Wim Keygnaert, eds., Leuven: Garant Publishers, 1999, pp. 17–26.
- J. Ginter. Use of Social Information in the Law-Making Process of Parliaments: A Comparative Study, Tallinn, 1998, pp. 20.
- J. Ginter. Criminal Law Theory and Criminal Code Reform . – Criminal Law Forum, 1993, Vol. 4, No. 2.
- J. Ginter. Crime Rate of the 80s and in the Beginning of the 90s. – Nordisk Kriminologi, 1992, No. 1.
- Estonian (Native)
- English (Fluent)
- Russian (Fluent)
Articles in Juridica International
The Survival of Retributivism in our Modern Knowledge-based World, Juridica International, 2017, No. 1, pp. 100-106
Jaan Ginter, Anneli Soo.
The Right of the Suspect to Counsel in Pre-trial Criminal Proceedings, Its Content, and the Extent of Application, Juridica International, 2012, No. 1, pp. 170-178
Judicial Independence and/or(?) Efficient Judicial Administration, Juridica International, 2010, No. 1, pp. 108-115
Criminal Liability of Legal Persons in Estonia, Juridica International, 2009, No. 1, pp. 151-156
Custodial Punishment: An Effective Tool for Crime Prevention?, Juridica International, 2004, No. 1, pp. 125-135
Compatibility of the Estonian Rules of Evidence in Criminal Procedure to the Needs for Protection of the Financial Interests of the European Community, Juridica International, 2002, No. 1, pp. 138-141
Compatibility of the Estonian Penal Law to the Need for Protection of Financial Interests of the European Union, Juridica International, 2001, No. 1, pp. 184-197
Criminal Policy Choices and the Reform of the Estonian Criminal Law, Juridica International, 2000, No. 1, pp. 79-84
Principle of Proportionality in Sentencing and Economic Approach in Criminology, Juridica International, 1999, No. 1, pp. 142-146
Corpus Juris and Estonian Criminal Procedure, Juridica International, 1998, No. 1, pp. 64-67
Teenage1 Criminality in Estonia, Juridica International, 1997, No. 1, pp. 74-75
Guarantees of Judicial Independence, Juridica International, 1996, No. 1, pp. 75-84