Articles in Juridica
- Administrative Acts in the Current Legal Order: Theory and Practice, Juridica Abstract, 2011, No. 1, pp. 27-34
- Draft Act to Amend the Constitution, Juridica Abstract, 2002, No. 8, pp. 563–568
- Academic Legal Education in Estonia: the Current Situation and Problems, Juridica Abstract, 2002, No. 4, pp. 218–223
- Rights of Parties to Proceedings under the Administrative Procedure Act, Juridica Abstract, 2001, No. 8, pp. 519–528
- Limitations to the Transfer of Public Functions to Persons in Private Law: Aspects of Constitutional Law and Administrative Law, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 8, pp. 499–507
- Contesting Administration Contracts in Administrative Courts: Problems and Possible Solutions, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 9, pp. 457–461
- Changes in Procedure Introduced by the Draft Code of Administrative Procedure, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 10, pp. 523–527
- Accreditation of Legal Education in Estonia and Its Legal Grounds (Based on the Example of the Law Faculty of the University of Tartu), Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 8, pp. 407–421
- The System of Legal Regulation of Public Administration, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 4, pp. 170–172
- Estonian Society of Legal Philosophy Discusses Discretion of Administration, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 3, p. 150
- Legal Status of the University, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 5, pp. 183–186
- Public Service Contra Labour Law, Juridica Abstract, 1994, No. 6, pp. 131–132
- Legal Persons of the Public Law in the Legal Order in Force, Juridica Abstract, 1994, No. 4, pp. 85–87
- Competence of the Administrative Court, Juridica Abstract, 1994, No. 2, pp. 47–50
- Decision Proceedings, Juridica Abstract, 1994, No. 2, pp. 54–55
- What Will Happen to the Organization of Scientific and Advancement Activities, Juridica Abstract, 1993, No. 5, pp. 98–99
- Some Comments on the Discussion about Legislative Acts, Juridica Abstract, 1993, No. 3, pp. 56–57
- Administrative Liability and the Rights of Town, Commune and Township Council, Juridica Abstract, 1993, No. 2, pp. 26–27
- Professor of Constitutional and Administrative Law, University of Tartu
- Born: September 11, 1949, Tabivere
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D (History), University of Tartu, 1984
- University of Tartu, 1973
- Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, February 1, 2000–August 31, 2009
- Assistant Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1994–January 31, 2000
- Professor of Constitutional and Administrative Law, University of Tartu, 1994–current
- Professor Extraordinary of Constitutional and Administrative Law, University of Tartu, April, 1994–September 1, 1997
- Docent, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1990–1994
- Adviser to the Administrative Law Chamber, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia, October 1, 1993–current
Main areas of research
- Administrative Law, Technique of Legal Norms, Administrative Procedure, Constitutional Law
Grants and projects
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Target Financing SF0182740s06 for Project: Estonian Legal Space in Global Legal Space, 2006-2011
- Constitution of the Republic of Estonia. Commented 2nd ed., SOIOI07260, K. Merusk et al., 2008
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Target Financing SF0181782s01 for Project: The Reform and Development of the Estonian Legal System and its Relationships with the EU Legal Order. With 11 Team Members, 2001–2005
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Grant No. 4577 for Project: Legal-theoretical Basis and Optimisation of Administrative Procedure. With 7 team members, 2001–2004
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF ) Grant No. 4551 for Project: Optimisation of Estonian Court System and Court Procedure Law. With 5 Team Members, 2001
- Estonian Law Centre Foundation (ELC) Project: Constitutional Law Institute. Member of the Board, 2001–current
- Estonian Law Centre Foundation (ELC), Open Estonia Foundation (OEF) and Constitutional and Legal Policy Institute (COLPI, Hungary) Project: Restricting Corruption in a Transformation Society (Legal Aspect). Member of Steering Committee, 1999–current
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Grant No. 3356 for Project: Further Development of the Reform of Estonian Legal Order in Public Law: Theoretical Foundations and Legislation to Ensure the Harmonisation of Estonian Legal Order in Public Law with the Legislation of European Union. With 10 Team Members, 1998–2000
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Target Financing No. 0539 for Project: Reform of Estonian National Legal Order in Public Law: Conceptual Positions of Departure, Legislation, Standards of Interpretation, Legal Decision. With 11 Team Members, 1996–2000
- Administrative Justice in the New European Democracies. Open Society Institute/Constitutional and Legislative Policy Institute (COLPI), Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, Wolfson College, University of Oxford, 1995–1997
Professional activity and membership
- Member of the Board of the Estonian Academic Law Society (EAÕS ), 2000–current
- Member of the Council of the University of Tartu, 2000–2009
- Chairman of the Council of the Faculty of Law, 2000–current, Member of the Council of the Faculty of Law, 1993–2009
- Member of the Council of Law Centre Foundation, 2000–2009
- Vice–president of the Law Philosophy Society of Estonia, 1999–current
- Member of Administrative Law Reform Steering Committee set up by the Ministry of Justice, 1999–current
- Member of the Council of the Iuridicum Foundation, 1998–current, Chairman of the Council, 2001–current
- Member of the Study Commission of the University Council, 1998–2001
- Member of the Editorial Board, Law Journal Juridica and Juridica International , 1993–current
- Member of the Expert Committee of the Constitution of Estonia, 1996–1998
- Member of the Research and Institutional Development Commission of the University Council, 1996–1997
Participation in scientific conferences and seminars
- International Symposium: Legislation and Legal Policy, Tartu, Estonia, September 28–October 1, 2000
- 26th Congress of the Comparative Law Society, September 24–27, 1997, Graz, Austria
- University of Münster, Germany, April–May and December 2000
- Academy of Krems, Austria, October 1992
- Administrative Law
- Administrative Procedure
- Legal Technique
- Practical Work of Students
- Administrative Law (for Master Students)
- Administrative Law (Advanced Seminar for Master Students)
- Civil Service (for Master Students)
- Theory of Legal Acts (for Master Students)
- Law of Notary (for Master Students)
- Administrative Procedure (for Master Students)
- Pedagogical Internship (for Master Students)
- Methodology of Legal Science (for Doctoral Students)
- Problems of Public Law (Advanced Seminar for Doctoral Students)
- Pedagogical Internship (for Doctoral Students)
- Constitution of the Republic of Estonia. Commented Edition. 2nd ed., K. Merusk et al. – Tallinn: Juura, 2008, pp. 39-74, 499-525 (in Estonian).
- K. Merusk. Interessenabwägung im Planungsverfahren als normatives Kommunikationsproblem: Rechtsschutz und Ermessensfehler. Rechtstheorie, 38(2/3), 2007, S. 329-345.
- K. Merusk. The Republic of Estonia. In: Kortmann, C.; Fleuren, J.; Voermans, W. Eds.). Constitutional Law of 10 EU Member States. The Hague, London, Boston: Kluwer Law International, 2006, pp. 156-226.
- R. Narits, K. Merusk. Richtige Praktiken der Rechtsetzung und Reform des estnischen Verwaltungsrecht. Osteuropa Recht, 2006, 52, S. 137-151.
- K. Merusk, M. Susi. Ten Years after Ratification - The European Convention on Human Rights and Its Impact on Estonia. German Yearbook of International Law, 48, 2006, pp. 327-366.
- S. Mäeltsemees, E.-J. Truuväli, K. Merusk, V. Olle, S. Lääne. European Charter of Local Self-Government and its Effect on the Legal Space and Functioning of Estonian Local Self-government [Euroopa kohaliku omavalitsuse harta ja tema mõju Eesti kohaliku omavalitsuse õigusruumile ja toimisele]. In: 20 years of the European Charter of Local Self-Government and Its Meaning for Estonia [20 aastat Euroopa kohaliku omavalitsuse hartat ja selle tähendus Eestile]: Tallinn, Tallinn University of Technology, Faculty of Humanities, 01.02.2006. (Ed.) Mäeltsemees, S. Tallinn: OÜ Infotrükk, 2006, pp. 18-41. (in Estonian).
- K. Merusk. Introduction. - Jüri Uluots. The Birth of Law or the Story of Estonian Justice [Seaduse sünd ehk Eesti õiguse lugu]. In: Jüri Uluots. The Birth of Law [Seaduse sünd]. Tartu: Ilmamaa, 2004, pp. 7-13. (in Estonian).
- V. Olle, V. Saarmets, K. Merusk. Analysis of the Legal Issues of the Estonian Citizens’ Associations [Eesti kodanikuühenduste seadusandlike küsimuste analüüs], 2004.
- Constitution of the Republic of Estonia. Commented Edition, A.Allmann, T. Annus, M. Ernits, H.Lindpere, U. Lõhmus, O. Kask, E. Kergandberg, K. Land, L. Lehis, J. Liventaal, L. Madise, Ü.Madise, E. Markvart, R. Maruste, K. Merusk, A. Mõttus, R.Narits, V. Olle, P. Pruks, H. Pisuke, J.Põld, A. Reenumägi, U. Reinsalu, P.Roosma, M. Ruttu, V. Saarmets, H. Schneider, E.-J. Truuväli. Tallinn: Juura, 2002. 758 p. (in Estonian).
- R. Narits, K. Merusk. Protection of Rights and Freedoms in the Estonian Administrative Court Procedure: Development and Problems. In: Judicial Independence and Effectiveness of the Judicial System in Estonia. [Õiguste ja vabaduste kaitse Eesti halduskohtumenetluses: areng ja probleemid. Kohtute sõltumatus ja kohtusüsteemi toimimise efektiivus Eestis]. Tartu: Iuridicum Foundation, 2002, pp. 87-99. (in Estonian).
- K. Merusk. Privatisierung öffentlichen Aufgaben als rechtspolitische Enscheidung und ihre rechtliche Grenzen in Estland. Rechtstheorie, 31, 2001, S. 321-336.
- R. Narits, K. Merusk On the Essence of Law and Possibilities of Legislative Acts. – Riigikogu Toimetised (Journal of the Estonian Parliament), 2000, No. 2, pp. 100–102 (in Estonian).
- R. Narits, K. Merusk. Constitutional Law. Estonia. International Encyclopaedia of Laws. The Hague, London, Boston, Kluwer Law International, 1999, 236 p.
- K. Merusk, M. Kiviorg (eds.). Legal Drafting and the Principle of Rule of Law. Tartu, 1999, pp. 9–18, 69–82 (in Estonian).
- K. Merusk, R. Narits. On Estonian Constitutional Law. Tallinn: Juura Õigusteabe AS, 1998, 232 p. (in Estonian).
- K. Merusk, K. Kenapea, V. Olle. Researchesrs. Estonia. Imposing Burdens: Controlling Factory Effluent to Rivers.- Adminsitrative Justice in The New European Democracies.Case Studies of Administrative Law and Process in Bulgarien, Estonia, Hungary, Poland and Ukraine. Open Society Institute. Constitutional and Legislative Policy. Oxford: Institute and Centre for Socio-Legal Studies. University of Oxford, 1998, pp. 108-117, 194-204, 298-312
- R. Narits, K. Merusk (eds.) Estonia. Text of Constitution. Constitutional Law. – Kluwer Law International, Suppl. 23 (April 1997). 35 p.
- K. Merusk. Discretion of Administration and its Judicial Control. Tallinn; Õigusteabe AS Juura, 1997, 126 p. (in Estonian).
- I.-M. Orgo, K. Merusk. Employment Relations and Public Service. Textbook. Tallinn: Õigusteabe AS Juura, 1996, 160 p. (in Estonian).
- K. Merusk. Das Verhältnis von Parlament, Staatspräsident und Regierung in Estland. - B. Meissner, D.A. Loeber, C. Hasselblatt (Hg). Der Aufbau einer freiheitlich-demokratischen Ordnung in der baltischen Staaten. Bibliotheca Baltica. Hamburg, 1995, S. 96–105.
- K. Merusk. Applicable Law and Main Issues of Legislation Theory. 2nd Revised Edition. Tartu, 1995, 32 p. (in Estonian).
- K. Merusk, I. Koolmeister. Administrative Law. Tallinn: Õigusteabe AS Juura, 1995, 189 p. (in Estonian).
- Estonian (Native)
- Russian (Fluent)
- German (Good)
Articles in Juridica International
Kalle Merusk, Vallo Olle.
Problems of Estonian Local Government in 2013 and Co-operation as an Instrument of Their Resolution, Juridica International, 2013, No. 1, pp. 160-168
Kalle Merusk, Vallo Olle.
On Assignment of Local Government Tasks to the Private Sector in Estonia, Juridica International, 2009, No. 1, pp. 33-43
Dear reader, Juridica International, 2009, No. 1, pp. 1-1
Dear Reader,, Juridica International, 2007, No. 1, pp. 1-1
Discretion of Interests in Planning Procedure: Legal Protection and Abuse of Discretion, Juridica International, 2006, No. 1, pp. 158-165
Administrative Law Reform in Estonia: Legal Policy Choices and Their Implementation, Juridica International, 2004, No. 1, pp. 52-62
Presumptions of Law for Ensuring Fundamental Rights in Administrative Proceeding, Juridica International, 2002, No. 1, pp. 76-85
Assignment of Public Tasks to Private Legal Persons. Legal Bases and Limits, Juridica International, 2000, No. 1, pp. 40-48
Protection of Persons´ Rights and Freedoms by Estonian Administrative Courts: Development and Key Problems, Juridica International, 1999, No. 1, pp. 45-54
Kalle Merusk, Raul Narits, Peep Pruks.
On Legal Bases and Process of Accreditation of Teaching of Law in Estonia (University of Tartu Faculty of Law Case), Juridica International, 1998, No. 1, pp. 142-162
Estonian Constitutional System of Government, Juridica International, 1998, No. 1, pp. 2-9
Judicial Review of Administrative Discretion and the Application of Undefined Legal Concepts in the Estonian Legal System, Juridica International, 1997, No. 1, pp. 50-57
The Present State and Development Trends of Estonian Administrative Law, Juridica International, 1996, No. 1, pp. 20-24
The Right to Issue Regulations and its Constitutional Limits in Estonia, Juridica International, 1996, No. 1, pp. 38-45