Articles in Juridica
- I. Pettai, R. Narits, S. Kaugia. Of the Current State and Outlook of the Legal Regulation on Domestic Violence Based on the Results of an Expert Poll Carried Out Among the Estonian Legal Practitioners, Juridica Abstract, 2015, No. 9, pp. 645-658
- Constructions of Concept of Legal Consciousness, Juridica Abstract, 2012, No. 2, pp. 112-121
- A Matter of ‘Right Law’, Juridica Abstract, 2009, No. 2, pp. 67–75
- Comparison of Legal Knowledge of Secondary School Students in Estonia and USA, Juridica Abstract, 2002, No. 6, pp. 421–425
- Emile Durkheim and Social Disconnectedness, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 5, pp. 256–257
- The Nature, Role and Purpose of Sociology of Law in Contemporary Society, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 8, pp. 360–361
- Shifts in the Legal Consciousness of Young People in Estonia in 1975–95, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 7, pp. 313–315
- Lecturer of Comparative Jurisprudence , University of Tartu
- Born: August 29, 1963, Tartu
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Doctor iuris, University of Tartu, 2011
- MA (Sociology), University of Tartu, 1994
- Master of Sociology Program, University of Tartu, 1991–1994
- Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1988 (cum laude)
- Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1993–current
- Senior Assistant, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1988–1991
- Assistant, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1981–1988
Main areas of research
- Comparative Jurisprudence, Sociology of Law
Grants and projects
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Grant for Project: Realisation of Reform of Administration and with it Connected Quality Development of Estonian Law in Kontext Constitutional Order of Estonia and EU Law. Grant holder K. Merusk.
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Grant for Project: Legaltheoretics Bases of Procedure of Administration and Optimision. Grant holder K. Merusk
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Target Financing for Project: Implementation of Estonian Public Raw Reform in the Context of Joining the European Union Legal Order. With 11 team members, 2001–2005
- University of Greifswald`s Project: Experience of Violence of Youth as Culprit and Casualty. 2002–2004. Grant holder in Estonia J. Sootak.
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Grant No. 4577 for project: Legal-theoretical Basis and Optimisation of Administrative Procedure. With 7 team members, 2001–2004
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Grant for Project: Youth and Law in Changing Estonia in 1974–1998. Grant holder S. Kaugia, 1999–2000
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Target Financing No. 0539 for Project: Reform of Estonian National Legal Order in Public Law: Conceptual Positions of Departure, Legislation, Standards of Interpretation, Legal Decision. With 11 team members, 1996–2000
Professional activity and membership
- Member, Research Group of Criminalistics and Criminology, Estonian Academy of Security Sciences, 2010-current
- Founding Member of B.G. Forselius Society, 2006–current
- Founding Member of Estonian-German Society of Law, 2003–current
- Founding Member of the Law Philosophy Society of Estonia, 1999–current
- Founding Member of the Tartu Society of Legal Psychologists and Sociologists, 1994–current
Participation in scientific conferences and seminars
- Scientific Conference ‘The Role of Law in Formation of Estonian Legal Order’, September 11, 2009, Tartu, Estonia
- International Scientific Conference ‘Guilt or Perilousness – the Dilemma of Legal Punishment Law’, September 19, 2008, Tartu, Estonia
- XX International Criminology Seminar, June 29–July 1, 2007, Saint Petersburg
- Forum of Judges 2007 ‘Courts and Legislative Drafting [Kohtud ja õigusloome], June 7, 2007, Tartu, Estonia
- International Symposium ‘Normative Communication and Structure of Communication in Legal Startehood and Global Dimension’, April 21, 2006, Tartu, Estonia
- VI Conference of Estonian Social Scientists. Tallinn, Estonia, November 4–November 5, 2005
- V Conference of Estonian Social Scientists. Tartu, Estonia, November 12–November 13, 2004
- International Conference ‘Reform of Legal Punishment Law of Estonia and New Legal Punishment Law in Comparison with the EU’, October 9–October 13, 2002, Tartu, Estonia
- International Symposium ‘Legislation and Legal Policy’, September 28–October 1, 2000, Tartu, Estonia
- International Conference ‘Governance: Lawful and/or Efficient’, September 22, 2000, Tallinn, Estonia
- University of Kiel, Germany, 2004
- Juridical Institute of the General Prosecutor’s Office of Russia, Russia, 2003
- Sankt Petersburg’s Sociological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia, 2003
- University of Helsinki, Finland, 1999
- University of Münster, Germany, 1996
- Centre of Development of Management of Helsinki, Finland, 1995
- Comparative Law, 2005–current
- Introduction to Jurisprudence, 2002–current
- Seminars on Encyclopaedia of Law, 1999–current
- Coll. of Encyclopaedia of Law, 1999–current
- Sociology of Law, 1995–current
- Introduction to Comparative Law, 1993–current
- Introduction to Comparative Jurisprudence, 1993–current
- S. Kaugia. On the Regulative and Concious Level of Norm-Behaviour. - In Service of Society. Tallinn: Estonian Academy of Security Sciences, 2010, pp. 52-68 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Reception of Legal Regulation. - Criminology: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow. Sankt Petersburg, 2010, No. 2 (19), pp. 24-34 (in Russian).
- S. Kaugia. Cognition of Social Norm and Consciousness of Norm. - Social Nature and Action of Law in Society, 2009, pp. 134-176 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Raising the Level of Legal Consciousness as an Element of Criminal Politics. Views on Legal Politics, 2008, pp. 111–123 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Justice of Law as a Prerequisite for Effective Law. Interdisiplinarity in Social Sciences. II. Tallinn: Tallinn University of Technology, 2007, pp. 486–507 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Legal Consciousness: Nature, Formation, Operation. – Law in Society, 2006, pp. 77–113 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Role of the School in Social Stratification. – Forseliuse Sõnumid, 2004, No. 11, pp. 21–25 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Tendency of Behaviour as one Element of Legal Consciousness. – Transactions of Criminology of Sankt Petersburg, 2003, No. 1(6), pp. 211–218 (in Russian).
- S. Kaugia. Place of Legal Norms in Different Cultural Spheres. – Transactions of Riigikogu, 2002, No. 6, pp. 69–78 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Influence of Legal Sozialisation Agents of Estonian Youth in Transition Society. – Akadeemia, 2002, No. 1, pp. 122–126 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Legal Knowledge among the Estonian Youth in the Context of Socioeconomic Break. – Theory of Law, 2000, Vol 31, No. ¾, pp. 435–449 (in German).
- S. Kaugia. About Social Conflict and How to Regulate It. – Akadeemia, 2000, No. 7 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Effect of Upbringing Environment on Regeneration of Criminals. – On the Ways of Development of Estonian Criminal Law. Compilation of Articles. Dedicated to the Memory of Professor Ilmar Rebane. Tartu: Lawyers Training Centre, 1997, pp. 27–36 (in Estonian).
- S. Kaugia. Socioeconomic Factors of Criminal Activity. (On the Basis of Materials Collected in the Industrial Region of North-East Estonia). Master Thesis, Tartu, 1994.
- Estonian (Native)
- Russian (Good)
- German (Good)
Articles in Juridica International
Raul Narits, Silvia Kaugia, Iris Pettai.
The Significance of Recognising Domestic Violence, in Light of Estonian Legal Experts’ Opinion and the Prospects for Systematising the Relevant Legislation, Juridica International, 2016, No. 1, pp. 128-138
Estonian Schoolchildren’s Opinions about Violence and the Possibilities for Preventing It, Juridica International, 2008, No. 2, pp. 135-143
Legal Knowledge of Estonian Youth. Comparison of 1970s and 1990s, Juridica International, 2000, No. 1, pp. 20-29
Estonian Institutions of Justice Within the Legal Socialisation System of Young, Juridica International, 1998, No. 1, pp. 84-91
Legal Behaviour: Norm and Deviation, Juridica International, 1997, No. 1, pp. 7-13
Structure of Legal Consciousness, Juridica International, 1996, No. 1, pp. 16-20